Saturday, July 12, 2008

Morning, athletes!

Got a super report from the doc yesterday; both hips look great he said, even the other one (though not as "shiny" on the x-ray!) We laughed at his comment days after surgery last year: "It may not last your whole life, but you oughta get 40-45 years", to which I quickly shot back: "We're do I sign?" At 90-95, I'll gladly move on to 'Plan B!'
I'm grateful for all the well-wishes and compliments that have come my way in these 14 months since hip replacement, and for the ability to exhibit some resilience through this bit of adversity. We all see-and experience-opportunities to rise above adversity, both in and outside athletics. I hope my plight in some way lends some assistance to others going through the inevitable unexpected turns that life offers. After all, these "tests" are our chance to put our very own signature on the project.

Feel free to offer on my blog your own experiences of stick-to-itiveness, either personal or witnessed. I'll continue to share those I run across in my travels and experiences running and coaching. Again, they need not enter the realm of athletics...the same lessons can be found displayed in all aspects of life.
Extending to my friends out to conquer the BADWATER race next week (Marie Bartoletti of Pennsylvania and Chisholm Deupree from Oklahoma City) my admiration, and hoping nothing but great memories come your way while competing. Wishing you a "world-class" weekend, and look forward to seeing you on the roads of America!
Mark

4 comments:

Reese said...

Nice to hear you tonight. I enjoyed it and could tell you had a lot more to offer, but wanted to keep it short.

Mark Bravo said...

Thanks a lot, Maurice; appreciated seeing everyone, and CONGRATS on your 50K....and at midnight!

What an athlete! See you out there soon....

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you finally up and running....in all arenas. How is the book coming?

Mark Bravo said...

Maurice,

I told you I'd be back, albeit months of 'non-blogging'. First, a big CONGRATS to you for the conquering of such a vast array of "ULTRAS"....I'm anxious for the play-by-play of your lineup to come.
Been a busy, GOOD year out there, and I hope the same for you all. Running remains good-for which I'm always grateful, and the book is out (can even be bought in my website...amazing anything I aspire to, technologically-speaking,ever comes to pass. What a little OPTIMISM will do for us all.....I'll be on this site with blogs regularly now; very much appreciate it if you choose to pass that on to our friends, and I'll see you on the roads.....
For those of you who have the book, I always enjoy comments, and if particular chapters offered some IMPACT, would love to know.
All my best, athletes; go get 'em, and keep building MOMENTUM!
Mark Bravo