Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"To give less than your best....is to sacrifice the gift"

This simple statement is credited to Steve Prefontaine, legendary American distance runner who left his mark-though dying in a car accident in his mid-20's-by an unprecedented will to get the most of himself every time he laced up his shoes. Winning races was a mere by-product of his real passion...to seek the best inside himself. This transcended his running, as he was a pioneer in the move to allow amateur athletes a stipend, as he himself-at the height of American distance running-was relegated to food stamps to continue his pursuit of excellence, and an eventual performance in the 1972 Munich Olympics.

I call attention to this statement, and the life of Steve Prefontaine, to spotlight the fact that we can all have impact in life, even if we're not a world-class runner-or "world-class" anything. When we conduct ourselves with dignity, treat others as we hope to be treated, and pursue whatever our passion-or current plight is-with all the diligence and stick-to-itiveness we can, we raise the caliber of everything and everyone around us. In fact, the entire world is enhanced.

Through this blog-and website www.runbravo.com- I hope to share and exchange with others the tools, ideas, and approaches-mental and physical-that "raise the level" of your game. Please contribute as you like, and thanks for taking a look.

I want to thank my good friend Jill Beardsley (who orchestrated this blogsite.) Jill's husband, marathon legend Dick Beardsley, has opened my eyes numerous times with his never-say-die approach to adversity, and I'm proud to call him a great friend. I always look forward to our runs whenever we arrive in the same area code.

Thanks again, and I'll see you all on the roads......Mark

5 comments:

Dick Beardsley said...

Excellent blog! Let me know if we can do anything for you!

Dick Beardsley

Mark Bravo said...

Dick,

Thanks so much; reading your comments on Grandma's Marathon, I know it was a great weekend once again.

Happy 4th; all my best, and we'll see you soon at a race somewhere!

Mark

Reese said...

I look forward to your future entries. Welcome to the blogosphere.

Anonymous said...

You have inspired me many times over the years. Your running lessons transcend the sport.

runbravo said...

Good morning! Off to a 1-year "post-hip" look-over with Dr. Tkach. Look forward to an 'all-clear' report, and a smile or two from him when he asks about my running, knowing I would inch my way back to the roads, and racing.

Wishing you all a "world-class" effort toward whatever your pursuits, and I'll report back...All the best, Mark